2007 Apr 03 18:03

[vox] ISU Open Source Values Survey [fwd from gsagers@ilstu.edu]

----- Forwarded message from gsagers@ilstu.edu -----

From: gsagers@ilstu.edu
To: root@lugod.org
Subject: ISU Open Source Values Survey
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 10:01:03 -0700

Dear Linux Users Groups,

We are a group of researchers from Illinois State University, conducting a study on how personal values influence decision making in open source software.  The goal of this study is to understand more about how values influence software design decisions, and whether participants in open source software projects hold the values which have often been attributed to them such as a culture of information sharing, the desire for increased reputation and voluntary cooperation.  We are currently pilot-testing our survey which will later be administered to larger number of participants in open source projects.

We have selected Linux and other free operating systems user groups as a population suited to pilot test our survey, since those using Linux or other free operating systems are familiar with open source and many are involved at some level with open source projects.  We ask for your participation in this survey.  As an incentive to participate, we will be conducting a drawing for 6 $30 gift certificates to Amazon.com.

Our survey will require approximately 20 minutes to complete.  All responses will only be used anonymously, and email addresses will only be used to contact individuals who are winners of gift certificates. You will not be contacted for any other purpose, nor will your email address be shared with any other party.

The survey is available now, at http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?A=185278253E16192 and will be available for two weeks (until April 17, 2007).  We will send a reminder email in one week.

Thank You,

Bryan Hosack, PhD
bhosack@ilstu.edu