2007 Apr 12 17:17

Re: [vox] Extremely low meeting attendance!

Re: [vox] Extremely low meeting attendance!

BK> Sometimes it's interesting to see what ELSE people can do in a kitchen,
BK> or with their Linux box.

I have no advise to offer.  I can, however, offer a view-point from an
outsider who has yet to attend a LUGOD meeting...

Personally and professionally I've been using linux for, um, I forget
how long.  I'm the owner of multiple open source packages that target
linux heavily (though none are linux-only).  I've been using it long
enough, I don't have many questions these days but when I do, I admit,
google is usually my fastest answer.

So, would I go to a LUGOD meeting?  I'd love to!

Why haven't I made it then?  Well, life gets in the way of course...
I have kids, a wife, computers to maintain ;-)  but those are the
normal excuses...

The more interesting question is: what has *almost* gotten me to go to
a meeting?  I've almost attended 3-4 in the last year but some other
conflict always prevented me from going.  So, the point being: the
topics of the meetings were really the things that were going to draw
me to it.  There were a few I was really disappointed that I missed it
(IPv6 and GPS/Cartography being 2, even though I have knowledge in both).

About the only thing I can suggest is figure out who you can get
speakers for on a topic and maybe have an online poll that asks "here
are the upcoming 10 potential topics, which ones would you attend"?
Don't hold any where the attendance number is low and concentrate on
the higher-attraction numbers.

[and it would be up to the community to try and answer honestly; it
wouldn't be a commitment but more of a >75% chance that you actually
would show up]