2007 Mar 14 14:55

Re: [vox] Fwd: Relocating to Davis....

> As for Internet access, I think there's both DSL and cable available in
> all of Davis now.  Greystone apartments was known as the apartment with
> T1 connection included in the rent,

I live there.  I dunno if you are familiar with the 1962 technology
known as "T1", but it's about as fast as $20 DSL (although symmetrical).
 Anyway, they charge $15 a port for the mystery internet connection only
claiming that it is "T1" which is complete nonsense (I should have
asked, "Full or fractured?").  Also, you can be assured under falling
for their $15/port deal that you in no way will get an external IP
address or anything handy like that to access your machine from the
outside world.  After being told about this great insecure apartment
wide LAN with unknown restrictions and controls enforced and that DSL
was unavailable (false false false false false...), I held my laughter
back before politely saying "No thank you".  Besides, unless you route
through a single one of these ethernet ports, add two or three up and
you easily get a preposterous bill that easily matches the fee for
monthly cable internet (and without any of their package deals).

~chris.