2007 Mar 13 11:51

Re: Fwd: Re: [vox] re: linux recommendation

Re: Fwd: Re: [vox] re: linux recommendation

> Yeah, Redhat sort of blew it with FC, they had a
> good hold on the Linux
> Desktop Market, but are losing it if they have not
> already.

I still really like using my old Redhat 7.3 box, and I
really really liked Redhat 8.0 on my laptop (before
the laptop itself died - though I 'think' the hardrive
is fine).  I'm not a KDE/Gnome person, generally, but
the Bluecurve theme in Redhat 8 was sweet!  It wasn't
very resource intensive and it looked really great.

Unfortunately, my friend was upgrading from Fedora
Core 2 to Fedora Core 6 and mentioned how he had a few
hardware problems (like something dealing with his
sata harddrive prevented the system from booting
correctly and it would take about 5-6 boot attempts to
get the thing up and running).  Plus this other guy I
know who works at Disney in FL, mentioned that Fedora
Core 6 had problems with graphics cards and other
stuff, hence he ran Fedora Core 5 on his systems.

Supposedly Cent OS and RHEL are decent, but I haven't
used either.  I even heard that Cent OS is good since
it gives you a very minimal Linux install which is
good for a server OS when you have to think about
security and performance.

I just wished that the Redhat people did more tests
and made certain that Fedora Core worked properly
before releasing a version of it (or at least with FC
6).