January 6: Social gathering
2007 Mar 05 19:58

Re: [vox] re: linux recommendation

On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 06:56:48PM -0800, Rod Roark wrote:
> On Monday 05 March 2007 18:45, Cylar Z wrote:
> > I was wondering - why didn't anyone mention Fedora
> > Core from Red Hat?
>
> Isn't FC a "test bed" distribution -- and with a relatively short
> support cycle?  Whereas desktop Ubuntu gets updates for 18 months or
> 3 years, depending on the version.

That would be why the Math department avoids it. Short support cycle
is annoying. Also, it was particularly whiney if you didn't set it
to always automatically install all the updates (including kernel
updates).

Users seemed prone to clicking on large red exclamation marks saying
stuff wasn't updated.

Also, the Ubuntu packages and manager seem to cause less problems.
Though I don't experience this firsthand, I can say that there is
significantly less office grumbling about it.

And, more stuff "just works" in Ubuntu, than it did in Fedora.

But, I'm still a Debian woman on my laptop.

-mran