2007 Feb 04 03:26

[vox] Windows Vista

I'm in a quandary.  I want to order a new laptop, but I can't figure out if I
should get one with XP or Vista.  It goes without saying of course that it
will be a dual boot.  But I'm reading conflicting reports on Vista.  Here's a
British government report recommending against educational institutions going
to Vista and Office 2007:

http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=61A19824-89F8-4649-82F7-3062481BA64B

Here's a quote from the end of the report:

'The overall advice on Vista was even worse, from Microsoft's
 perspective. "Early deployment is considered extremely high risk and strongly
recommended against," Becta stated. "On the basis of current understanding,
the total cost of deployment is significant, the risks are high, and the
benefits are far from clear."'

I've read other statements by people saying there is some skepticism among
businesses in going over to Vista.  Some are exploring Open Office and Linux.
Of course there are reviews that rave about Office 2007.

Bob