[vox] Re: Mp3 Music For Linux?

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 18:40:26 -0800 (PST), vox-request@lists.lugod.org
said:
> Finally, why not create your own?  Despite what the RIAA says, you can
> still
> convert your own CDs to mp3 format.  Tr ythis:
>
> 1. Open up an xterm.
> 2. Put a CD into your CD drive.
> 3. type this: "cdparanoia foo.wav"
> 4. type this: "lame foo.wav foo.mp3"
>
> and you now have your own mp3 file.  If you don't have cdparanoia, do:
> "aptitude install cdparanoia".  If you don't have lame, do: "aptitude
> install lame".

cdparanoia works great but for a complete command line solution try
abcde (a better cd encoder). It integrates cdparanoia, various table of
contents (audio cd toc) databases like cddb, and various encoders like
lame to make you a labeled directory of music files. It also gives you a
choice of labels and lets you edit when there are multiple toc matches
(being submitted by whatever users looked up cds that weren't already in
the database or didn't like the entry that was there). I think most
programs just pick the first one because I've never seen others give a
choice.

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - Same, same, but different…