Re: [vox] [OT] CDs obsolete? [Mp3 Music For Linux?]

On Tue, Dec 26, 2006 at 03:11:34PM -0800, Micah Cowan wrote:
> My own usage, and that of many others I know, is to buy CDs solely for
> the purpose of ripping them to MP3s or occasionally listening to in the
> car.

We actually don't listen to CDs in the car lately due to the fact that
we ripped all of our CDs and shoved them in a box in the closet.  Too hard
to get to them.

We have an iPod, but it's a bit of a pain to use, especially considering
the only way to listen to the iPod in the car is with an FM tuner doo-dad,
which gets interference by the plethora of real broadcast radio stations
out here in the bay area. :^)

The 100 mile drive to Davis and back would probably require re-tuning the
car stereo and the iPod->FM gadget at /least/ once.

> My wife /does/ listen to them on the DVD-player occasionally, but
> there are much better systems in place for MP3 listening, such that if
> we were to do more heavy living-room listening, we'd be very likely to
> switch to them.

And conversely, we listen to nothing BUT MP3s in the living room.
Either MP3 streams or a Samba-mounted folder of our ripped CD collection,
on Melissa's laptop, or via our TiVo.  (Search for:  "ByRequest" for a
reasonably-usable, and sadly orphaned Linux alternative to the
"TiVo Home Media" software for Windows and Mac.)

What we need is a better iPod solution for the car (AUX input, or better
yet, one of those car stereos that actually control the iPod over USB).

bill@newbreedsoftware.com
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/