Re: [vox] [OT] CDs obsolete? [Mp3 Music For Linux?]

On Tue 26 Dec 06,  3:11 PM, Micah Cowan <micah@cowan.name> said:
> On Tue, 2006-12-26 at 16:41 -0500, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > On Tue 26 Dec 06, 11:32 AM, Bob Scofield <scofield@omsoft.com> said:
> > > Please forgive the naivete that pervades this message.
> > >
> > > While I listen to streaming radio on Linux I have not been interested in
> > > playing mp3's.  Recently I've had some discussions with my son, niece, and
> > > nephew about music.  And I've concluded that the present generation of
> > > college students only listens to music CD's when they are in cars.  From
> > > this, coupled with Tower going out of business, I've concluded that there
> > > will be no music CD's in the future; all non-radio music will require a
> > > computer to access.
> >
> > I'm fairly certain this is overstated.
>
> I'm not so sure. Especially since the phrase "in the future" leaves a
> lot of leeway: I'm virtually 100% certain that at some point "in the
> future", CDs will no longer be produced. :) ...I'm certainly hoping its
> sooner rather than later.

LOL!  I guess I took the pragmatic approach and took it to mean "in my
lifetime".  I'm pretty sure CDs will still be around 10 years from now.
Prolly longer.

Oh, there was a slight error in my previous post.  It should be:

   cdparanoia 1 foo.wav

I think I left the "1" out.  That signifies to rip the first track to wav
format.  Then you use lame to convert wav to mp3.

Pete

ps- I just checked out emusic.com.  It appears they now have a "download
manager", i.e. you prolly need to use wine to use it.  Too bad.

Also, Amazon will be launching a DRM free mp3 store in QI 2007.

But check out the Google search on Google search on "legal free mp3".

--
How VBA rounds a number depends on the number's internal representation.
You cannot always predict how it will round when the rounding digit is 5.

Peter Jay Salzman, email: p@dirac.org web: http://www.dirac.org/p