[vox] [OT] CDs obsolete? [Mp3 Music For Linux?]

On Tue, 2006-12-26 at 16:41 -0500, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> On Tue 26 Dec 06, 11:32 AM, Bob Scofield <scofield@omsoft.com> said:
> > Please forgive the naivete that pervades this message.
> >
> > While I listen to streaming radio on Linux I have not been interested in
> > playing mp3's.  Recently I've had some discussions with my son, niece, and
> > nephew about music.  And I've concluded that the present generation of
> > college students only listens to music CD's when they are in cars.  From
> > this, coupled with Tower going out of business, I've concluded that there
> > will be no music CD's in the future; all non-radio music will require a
> > computer to access.
>
> I'm fairly certain this is overstated.

I'm not so sure. Especially since the phrase "in the future" leaves a
lot of leeway: I'm virtually 100% certain that at some point "in the
future", CDs will no longer be produced. :) ...I'm certainly hoping its
sooner rather than later.

My own usage, and that of many others I know, is to buy CDs solely for
the purpose of ripping them to MP3s or occasionally listening to in the
car. My wife /does/ listen to them on the DVD-player occasionally, but
there are much better systems in place for MP3 listening, such that if
we were to do more heavy living-room listening, we'd be very likely to
switch to them.

To me, CDs are more of an annoying necessity as the only remotely
practical medium for legally obtaining music, and I'll be happy to be
rid of them when the RIAA finally figures it out (or, perhaps more
likely, are rendered obsolete). I think they're practically begging to
go the way of the audio cassette and the vinyl record.

As to whether "all non-radio music will require a computer to access",
I'm guessing it depends on how you define "computer". Certainly,
consumer electronics specifically targeted at storing and playing, or at
least streaming, digital music will become more widespread, so I don't
think you'd actually need to hook a PC up to every spot where you plan
to listen to music.

--
Micah J. Cowan
http://micah.cowan.name/