January 6: Social gathering
2006 Nov 26 08:12

Re: [vox] cell phone contracts

The cheapest is MetroPCS which has the web now.
There is a putty for Nokia phones.
http://s2putty.sourceforge.net/
I use T-Mobile since I can use putty and my Nokia 9500.

On 11/25/06, Ryan <cjg5ehir02@sneakemail.com> wrote:
On Saturday 25 November 2006 10:58 am, p-at-dirac.org \(Peter Jay Salzman\)
|lugod| wrote:
> My cellphone contract with Verizon is up, and I'm looking around for new
> cellphone deals.
>
> I'm currently paying $40 (300 min, free calling at 9) for truly bare bones
> basic service.  That's the cheapest plan, AFAIK, that Verizon has.  It
> sucks.
>
> Went to the Verizon store, and it appears that the very cheapest I can get
> voice and data for is $80 (I really want to be able to access google and
> wikipedia from my phone).
>

> Just took a look at Sprint.  Their cheapest calling plan is $30 (200 min,
> free calling at 7) and an astonishing $15 for "unlimited web and data".
>
> By the looks of it, Verizon's pricing is just absolutely awful.
>

> I was wondering if anyone knew of any other cellphone carriers I might
want
> to look at that may be competitive with Sprint or of any contract deals
> they've heard of that might be interesting.

Take a look at the coverage maps for the data service before commiting to
anything.  Here in California sprint has the best EVDO coverage.

> I've never had web/data access on a cellphone before.  Is it possible to
> upload some kind of ssh client onto a phone?

Some phones have SSH clients avaialable on they, yes.  Some phones have
available SSH clients, but only non-free ones (many phones will only run
signed software, making it very difficult to give software away, due to the
signing fee)

Also, do note that cell phones ususaly come connfigured not to function with
a competing providers SIM card.  It is usualy possbile to get them unlocked.
(I have done this on motorola and nokia phones)

--
Ryan Castellucci - http://ryanc.org/

When in the Potemkin Wired be a Potemkin Lain.