2006 Sep 28 08:56

Re: [vox] Re: Laptop purchase recomendation

Re: [vox] Re: Laptop purchase recomendation

Wow. Whitelisting sounds like crap--why oh why oh why?! I think these
manufacturers forget to take into account what the end user wants.

Well, I'll weigh in with my 2 cents worth.

I own an HP Pavillion zv5000 laptop that I bought for a good price
through costco. It has 512 MB of ram, 60GB harddrive (I upgraded to
80GB) and has an AMD64 processor.

The downside is that the built-in wireless card (good ole Broadcom) is
not natively supported under Linux, but ndiswrapper works great. The
other thing I never could get to work correctly is suspend to ram (I'm
running Kubuntu Dapper). but suspend to disk (if you use Software
Suspend 2) does work flawlessly.

Having said that, Linux otherwise runs fantastic. One of these fine
days I'll actually install 64bit linux. I have been hesitating because
ndiswrapper won't support that (but that has changed as of late, if
I'm not mistaken).

Another benefit: the laptop is well built, and I think this is
something to consider if you're a college student. I keep my laptop in
a backpack, that I place in an old child's seat mounted on the rear of
my bike. Last spring, I collided with another bicyclist on one of
Davis' many bike paths and was sent over my handlebars. I broke my
right pinky in the fall, and my laptop went flying several feet. I
thought for sure my laptop was toast, but it has never worked better.
HP makes 'em tough.