2006 Sep 25 21:40

Re: [vox] Laptop purchase recomendation

On 09/25/2006, at 20:36, Joshua Morris wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I am shopping for a new laptop and am looking for suggestions on laptops that work well with Linux. I have been looking at HP's dv9000t with the core 2 duo chip set. At < $2,800 i'm scared to exaust my student budget on it if it is not going to do what I am looking for. This is the configuration I am looking for:
Um, you're a student. Get something used or refurbished and save yourself the money; you'll find plenty of other things that you need to buy. If you're going to buy new, go for a low-end unit; you can get some very decent new laptops for around $600/$700, plus around $150 for a RAM upgrade, that will run Linux very nicely.

If you're planning on studying abroad, get a Mac[1]. Actually, my general advice is to get a MacBook, and load it with 3rd-party RAM. Under $1300 out-the-door.

What are you planning on doing with your laptop?

[1] AFAIK, none of the PC manufacturers will honor warranties overseas; you have to ship your computer back to the US, and models sold overseas are usually different from U.S. kit. Apple at least gets this one right.