January 6: Social gathering
2006 Sep 22 16:20

Re: [vox] Debian Frustrations for Non-Geeks

Re: [vox] Debian Frustrations for Non-Geeks

Bob Scofield wrote:
Here's why an apt-based, or at least a Debian, system is still frustrating for non-geeks. When apt updates various programs, or kernels, things sometimes stop working. And it's a problem if you don't know how to fix them.

Earlier this year I installed Etch. Kb3 has never worked on my Etch until today. Kb3's error messages always said to use the 2.4 kernel if you were having problems. So today apt updates my kernel to 2.6.17 and magically Kb3 works perfectly. I still think SuSE may be the best recommendation for newbies and bewbies. (bewbies are newbies who never learn. It rhymes with boobies.)

Bob

Actually I think that pclinuxos blows suse away. Comes on a live cd that is iso from internet.

I am green as a gourd so I know about the newbie deliema. Pclinux was live so I saw that it detected almost all my hardware. It also has a very neat install function right on the desktop however the partition tool can be a little tricky for newbs (like me).

If you need help give me a shout. I have been playing with this for a few weeks but have learned a lot.

P.s.: I am using thunderchicken to compose and send this email so if it comes htmp PLEASE let me know so I dont make anybody sore.

Jimbo