2006 Sep 17 13:19

Re: [vox] Kubuntu Package Selection

Bob Scofield wrote:
I was wondering how Kubuntu package section compared to Debian's. I assume that they are very close, is that right?

On rare occasions I have a need to use Adobe Acrobat Reader (which allows one to fill in forms unlike the open source readers) and Real Audio. But I can't get those two commercial programs to work on Debian. Are they easier to use on Kubuntu?
(K)Ubuntu has different classes of packages, depending on support and
free status.  How well non-free software works is a bit of a crapshoot...
if base library updates break a non-free package, you have to wait until
the owner updates the software and the package maintainer updates the
package accordingly.  The fact that it is non-free makes "supporting"
it rather difficult, though.

Make sure you have multiverse in your sources.list file, and install the
acroread meta-package.  I don't use it, so I can't vouch for filling in
forms, but it is there.

I don't see any support for RealAudio in the packaging system... looks like
you have to fall back on vendor support for that, most likely because their
licensing terms require it.

----
[1] http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/components