2006 Sep 17 12:54

Re: [vox] Kubuntu Package Selection

On Sun, Sep 17, 2006 at 10:17:57AM -0700, Bob Scofield wrote:
> I was wondering how Kubuntu package section compared to Debian's.  I assume
> that they are very close, is that right?
>
> On rare occasions I have a need to use Adobe Acrobat Reader (which allows one
> to fill in forms unlike the open source readers) and Real Audio.  But I can't
> get those two commercial programs to work on Debian.

Real Audio always seemed buggy, and Acrobat was ugly and slow, so I rarely
use these two apps.  However, I don't remember having trouble getting them
installed and running on Debian, via packages, I think, even!...  What problem
did you have?

>  Are they easier to use on Kubuntu?

I'm currently using Kubuntu and haven't had trouble finding and installing
what I need via aptitude (command-line) or Adept (GUI).

I don't think I 'need' RealAudio or Acrobat, so I never bothered with them
in Kubuntu.  An aptitude search shows that "Real Player (installer)" is
available.  I don't see any acrobat stuff.  I have a pretty stock
apt sources.list though. :)