2006 Aug 29 01:14

[vox] [fwd] cheap embedded linux video/mp3 player

Seen on SF-LUG's mailing list...

----- Forwarded message from Marc Juul -----

Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 14:36:08 -0700
From: "Marc Juul"
Subject: [sf-lug] cheap embedded linux video/mp3 player

Just wanted to let you guys know that overstock.com is selling a
six-pack of the Mattel Juicebox personal media player for $21.99
including shipping.

The Juicebox has a 2.7" inch color 240x160 screen.
A Samsung S3C44B0 ARM microcontroller.
2MB or 8MB of ram (I don't know since I haven't received my order yet).

and it runs uClinux (embedded linux).

It is possible to create a juicebox cartridge with a custom uClinux distribution
with a bit of soldering and a few cheap components.
For more information see:

http://elinux.org/wiki/JuiceBox

In order to get the $21.99 price for the six-pack, go to overstock.com
search for item 10338710 and use the coupon code 85731 to get $5 off.

If anyone would like to get together for some Juicebox hacking then
I'm game.  I don't really have any equipment for soldering and such
since I just moved here from Denmark, but thats nothing a quick trip
to Fry's can't fix :-)

Also, does anyone have knowledge of VHDL programming?
Xilinx is selling $150 development boards which include everything you
need to get started with hardware programming, but I don't see much
happening in open source hardware.
I think we should change that.

Hope it's ok to spam you guys with a commercial offer like this. I'm
not affiliated with overstock.com in any way, just thought it was a
relevant offer.

Marc Juul
marcjc [at ] gmail.com

----- End forwarded message -----