2006 Jun 30 13:36

Re: [vox] What to replace first?

Just be glad you did not get married in 1986, you could be still using
a 386.

It sounds like replacing the MB will necessitate replacing the CPU
and vice versa.

The video card sort of follows suit, seeing that you might want to
spend your money on a PCIe based video card which is a different
slot that the PCI or AGP you likely have now.

Basicly I think you are screwed, and will likely need to replace
it all at once, as well as RAM.

On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 01:08:41PM -0700, Richard Crawford wrote:
> I'm pretty happy with the computer my wife gave to me as a wedding present,
> but it's starting to show its age.  In particular, it doesn't do as well
> playing video as I would like -- Flash, .avi, .mpg, dvd's, and so on are all
> painfully slow.
>
> The system currently has the following setup:
>
> hda1: 40GB
> hdb1: 120GB (/home is mounted here)
>
> CPU's: dual-processor PIII, 866MHz.  Although I can never get the 2.6 kernel
> to run the smp version on this, and I have to install each kernel with
> the --noapic --nolapic option in order to get networking and USB connectivity
> to work.
>
> 512MB RAM
>
> I don't have the specs for the video card.
>
> Video card:  Jaton 3DForce2-MX GeForce2-MX 32MB AGP
>
> I'd like to replace both the motherboard and CPU's and the video card, but
> since I can't do both at once (monetary reasons), which one should I replace
> first?
>
> --
> Richard S. Crawford (http://www.mossroot.com)
> AIM: Buffalo2K / GTalk: underpope@gmail.com
> Skype: underpope
> "Personal is not the same as important."
>                                   -Carrot Ironfounderson

-

  Zachariah D. Johnson		Phone : 1-530-752-8801
  Systems Administrator		E-Mail: zjohnson@math.ucdavis.edu
  Mathematics			Office: 3117 Mathematical Sciences
  UCDavis			WWW   : n/a