2006 Jun 29 14:38

[vox] What to replace first?

I'm pretty happy with the computer my wife gave to me as a wedding present,
but it's starting to show its age.  In particular, it doesn't do as well
playing video as I would like -- Flash, .avi, .mpg, dvd's, and so on are all
painfully slow.

The system currently has the following setup:

hda1: 40GB
hdb1: 120GB (/home is mounted here)

CPU's: dual-processor PIII, 866MHz.  Although I can never get the 2.6 kernel
to run the smp version on this, and I have to install each kernel with
the --noapic --nolapic option in order to get networking and USB connectivity
to work.

512MB RAM

I don't have the specs for the video card.

Video card:  Jaton 3DForce2-MX GeForce2-MX 32MB AGP

I'd like to replace both the motherboard and CPU's and the video card, but
since I can't do both at once (monetary reasons), which one should I replace
first?

AIM: Buffalo2K / GTalk: underpope@gmail.com
Skype: underpope
"Personal is not the same as important."
                                  -Carrot Ironfounderson