2006 Jun 21 17:59

[vox] Swag and tonight's Xen Virtualization talk

[vox] Swag and tonight's Xen Virtualization talk

To the first 10 people that ask (in person) I will be giving away a Xen virtual server with 32MB ram. (if 5 or fewer people ask, they will be 64M)
In all other ways, these will be identical to my 64MB images. Half off if you want anything bigger. See http://prgmr.com/xen/ for details of available plans.

I will also be going over some of the technical details of how to run your own Xen Dom0, and why you should use a standard virtualization product rather than a proprietary one, and why Xen is superior to fancy chroot systems like linux Vservers or FreeBSD Jails (before I started selling Xen servers, I tried to sell FreeBSD jails. Bad things happened, and I ended up refunding all my customers.) The fancy Chroot systems are great for some things, but not when you have more than one customer per kernel.

I will also give you my standard cynical rant about single-sourcing anything. I know it's obvious, but I've worked to many places where the boss has decided "Provider X is really big so they will never go down. Let us buy all our stuff from Provider X at a discount" Then watched provider X screw us, because they know it will be quite expensive for us to shift away from provider X.

I will say a few words about the jailtime.org, xen-get.org and xen-tools projects, as I am trying to become involved in two of those projects, and I pull my default images from the third.