January 6: Social gathering
2006 Jun 07 11:19

[vox] [fwd] Looking for Volunteers for Open Source Software Lab atNECC 2006

Steve Hargadon is looking for volunteers to help with an Open Source Software
Lab at the National Educational Computing Conference (NECC) 2006, which
takes place in San Diego from July 5th to 7th...

-bill!

----- Forwarded message from Steve Hargadon <steve@hargadon.com> -----

Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 09:58:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: Steve Hargadon <steve@hargadon.com>
Subject: Looking for Volunteers for Open Source Software Lab at NECC 2006

Free and Open Source Software Lab at NECC 2006

We are looking for some more volunteers to help with
the Open Source Lab at NECC 2006, July 5 - 7 in San
Diego.  Those who volunteer get free entrance to the
show and exhibit hall (you have to register
regularly to attend any sessions outside the Open
Source Lab, however).  Students who volunteer get
lunch each day!

Information about the Open Source Lab is at
http://necc2006.pbwiki.com.  You can sign up there
as a volunteer, or look to see all that we have
going on.  This is a very unique opportunity, as we
have great support from NECC, a 25-seat lab/lecture
area, a terrific lineup of speakers. an open source
email garden, and six hand-on Open Source booths to
showcase Free and Open Source Software.

Our speakers this year are:

David Thornburg: "When Best is Free: An Educator's
Guide to Open Source"

Michelle Moore: "Use Your Noodle, Learn Moodle: An
Open Source Learning Management System" (3 sessions
- boy is she popular!)

Will Richardson: "Learning With Blogs: Bringing the
Read/Write Web Into the Classroom"

Jeffrey Elkner: "A Tour of Ubuntu with Free CD"

Jenny Horn: "Hello World: Starting at the Very
Beginning with PHP"

Bryant Patten: "Open Source Technology: Why Teachers
Should Care"

Tim Frichtel: "Great Web Sites with Open Source
Content Management Systems"

Steve Hargadon: "K12LTSP: Low-cost, Stable, and
Reliable Computer Labs"

Chris Walsh: "Content is STILL King: FREE Blogging &
Content Management Systems"

James Klein: "Creating Communities with Open Source
Tools"

Tom Hoffman: "SchoolTool: a Free, Open Source SIS
and Calendaring System"

Vernon Ceder: "Computer Programming for Everybody:
Teaching Programming with Python"

We really do need help.  If you are close enough to
attend, we'll take you for any amount of time you
can give!  No prerequisites for volunteering--if you
are willing to learn and be helpful, we'll take you.

Many thanks,

Steve Hargadon
email: steve@hargadon.com
phone: 916-899-1400
web: http://www.TechnologyRescue.com

Hargadon | 4350 Whispering Oaks Circle | Granite Bay | CA | 95746

----- End forwarded message -----

bill@newbreedsoftware.com
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/