2006 May 29 21:41

Re: [vox] Debian + KDE vs. Kubuntu

On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 07:04:48PM -0400, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> On Tue 23 May 06,  3:57 PM, Micah J. Cowan <micah@cowan.name> said:
> > >
> > > Like Micah, I'm curious why you'd do  that.  Is it games, or work related
> > > stuff?  If it wasn't for work I would get rid of my Windows 98.
> >
> > For my part, I almost never have to use Windows for anything other than
> > games. I have far too many games that wouldn't run with wine, and that I
> > simply can't live without.
>
> Micah, JOOC, what games do you play that don't run on Wine?

Well, the thing that made me switch to (back) a dual-boot way back when,
was Riven (Myst II). I just checked the app db, and apparently they
/just/ fixed that (I checked about a year ago and it was still broken).
Myst IV doesn't run, and I need that too (yes, I really do go back and
play these: rather frequently).

I also need to be able to play Half-Life 2 and FEAR, the former having
some limited support and the latter having none. I also have at least
one WinXP-only game (Dreamfall).

Even the ones that work, though, if they're recent enough, I'm gonna
want them to run as absoutely blazing fast as possible, and the only way
to ensure that is to run them on the intended platform.

One game I'd love to get working on wine, though, is PYST (even though,
from what I hear, it's barely just a toy). I can't get it running, even
though it's noted at 100% as of Redhat 7.3's bundled version of wine...
But then, I can't run it under Windows XP either...

> The only game I absolutely love that doesn't in LucasArts' Outlaws.  When I
> first started to use Wine, Outlaws didn't even try to run.

> > It's also nice to be able to access the latest proprietary Windows video
> > codecs on occaisions, when I want to watch a movie trailer or something;
> > but I wouldn't keep Windows around just for /that/.
>
> Crossover?

Not willing to pay for it...

--
Micah J. Cowan