2006 Mar 14 11:12

[vox] Ubuntu: "Administrator root password readable in cleartext onBreezy"

[vox] Ubuntu: "Administrator root password readable in cleartext onBreezy"

In case folks haven't seen it here. (I saw it mentioned in SacLUG)

  Bug #34606 in Ubuntu: "Administrator root password readable in
  cleartext on Breezy"

  https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+bug/34606

    The root password from the first user registred by Breezy can be found
    by any user by reading the file

      /var/log/installer/cdebconf/questions.dat

    a quick

      grep -r rootpassword /var

    shows that the rootpassword is forgotten in cleartext by the installer
    on several occations

    [...]

--
-bill!                                    Tux Paint 2006 wall calendar,
bill@newbreedsoftware.com                CDROM, bumper sticker & apparel