2006 Feb 18 22:22

Re: [vox] Biggest uptimes!

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006, trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:
> wasnt it a desire for a long uptime that caused debin to not install
> a patch for a known kernel vulnerability and they got owned because
> of that?

No, it was a slightly more complicated situation involving a
non-Debian machine being broken into and a password sniffed which was
used to break into a debian.org machine and then use a copy of
unpatched suid binaries which were sitting around to elevate to root
on master, and then break into other machines from there.

See:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2003/11/msg00012.html

for more details. [gluck was behind on getting a kernel with the
ptrace fix installed, but it had it installed in august, before the
attack occured.]

Don Armstrong

--
THERE IS NO GRAVITY THE WORLD SUCKS