2006 Feb 18 18:47

Re: [vox] Biggest uptimes!

Bill Kendrick wrote:
On Sat, Feb 18, 2006 at 03:31:37PM -0800, trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:

wasnt it a desire for a long uptime that caused debin to not install a
patch for a known kernel vulnerability and they got owned because of
that?

Heh, I don't think I knew that. ;^)

uptime is nice, but at the cost of not upgrading kernels and things,
which contests like this generally lead to, kinda makes me laugh ...

Well, whenever a Debian security update pushes a kernel and tells me I need
to reboot, I reboot.

(Now that you mention it, though, I should run aptitude on my webserver ;^) )

Debian released security patches for 2.4 and 2.6 kernels back in December, so my uptimes are 66 days.

Here is more info on the patches:

http://www.debian.org/security/2005/dsa-922
http://www.debian.org/security/2005/dsa-921

I've found the Debian security mailing list is the best way for me to stay on top of their patches.

Charles