2006 Feb 18 17:35

Re: [vox] Biggest uptimes!

On Sat, Feb 18, 2006 at 03:31:37PM -0800, trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:
> wasnt it a desire for a long uptime that caused debin to not install a
> patch for a known kernel vulnerability and they got owned because of
> that?

Heh, I don't think I knew that. ;^)

> uptime is nice, but at the cost of not upgrading kernels and things,
> which contests like this generally lead to, kinda makes me laugh ...

Well, whenever a Debian security update pushes a kernel and tells me I need
to reboot, I reboot.

(Now that you mention it, though, I should run aptitude on my webserver ;^) )

> Most other stuff can be upgraded without rebooting, generally anyway.

Indeed!  I can barely install a driver or upgrade stupid Adobe Acrobat on
my Windows laptop at work without it wanting to reboot.

Between that, and the simply bluescreen crashes that happen on occasion,
this kind of thing really _should_ be impressive to non-Linux folks.
(And one of the reasons I guess we have some uptimes listed on the LUGOD
'testimonials' page ;^) )