2006 Feb 18 23:27

Re: [vox] Biggest uptimes!

On Sat, 2006-02-18 at 15:24 -0800, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> It's been a while since we've had a "biggest uptime" match.
>
> My desktop's got a measely 43 days, but that's because I tore down my entire
> desk and put it back together.
>
> My webserver/ftpserver over at ServerBeach is at 245 days, though. :^)

wasnt it a desire for a long uptime that caused debin to not install a
patch for a known kernel vulnerability and they got owned because of
that?

uptime is nice, but at the cost of not upgrading kernels and things,
which contests like this generally lead to, kinda makes me laugh ...

:)

This is not a criticism of any particular contestant, just a warning
that you shouldnt sacrifice security just to have a higher uptime, if
you want, write something that will save and reset your uptime at each
shutdown/startup so you can at least patch your kernel if it ever has
any vulnerabilities that are disclosed and fixed.  Most other stuff can
be upgraded without rebooting, generally anyway.

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378