2006 Feb 06 22:43

[vox] Consulting Fee?

My wife's employer has asked me to build a Linux box for his office.
There won't be much of a demand on this computer; its job will be to
simply sit in the server room and serve up a Wiki for the company.  Said
wiki will only be available to the company, and won't contain any
mission-critical data.  This is being done on an experimental basis, so it
might not even stick around for very long.  I've already recommended that
they build a wiki in an existing account on a webhost provider (I even
offered mine), but he's pretty set on this idea.

The kicker is that he wants to pay me for this.

I've never done this sort of thing for profit before (well, okay, I do PHP
development for a living).  I figure it would take half a day or so to
build the server, and possibly a couple of hours to set it up as a
webserver with MySQL, PHP, and MediaWiki.  So if y'all don't mind helping
out a newbie to this field, could anyone suggest guidelines I could refer
to when working out how much to charge (excluding the cost of the
computer)?

--
Richard S. Crawford
http://www.mossroot.com