2006 Feb 02 18:45

Re: [vox] SuSE Bloat

On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 04:08:47PM -0800, Don Armstrong wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Feb 2006, Bob Scofield wrote:
> > On Thursday 02 February 2006 01:37 pm, Rod Roark wrote:
> > > With the likes of Debian and Ubuntu around, there's not much
> > > technical justification for using any commercial distribution.
> >
> > I have read that Debian does not have the hardware recognition that
> > SuSE has.
>
> The hardware recognition is really a function of the kernel, so Debian
> will recognize any hardware that the kernel itself will support.

I don't think so. The kernel generally doesn't handle hardware detection
directly, only hardware support. That's why things like kudzu exists
(RedHat). Some modules will auto-detect whether their presence is
helpful; but for some things this isn't practical/possible/implemented.

It's mainly a question of determining which modules to throw into the
kernel in the first place.

--
Micah J. Cowan
micah@cowan.name