January 6: Social gathering
2006 Jan 29 07:55

Re: [vox] Fwd: REALbasic for Linux Standard Edition - LinuxWorldAward Winner (offer and conference announcement)

On Sat, Jan 28, 2006 at 06:45:26PM -0600, Ken Bloom wrote:
> What's the license, both for the runtime and for development? I can't
> find any information about it on their site.

When you download it, it presents an opportunity to review it the first
time you run it. There is also text-file version of it, which I will
send you (directly, to avoid wasting list bandwidth).

Obviously, it's not a FOSS product. For a proprietary software product,
the license seems pretty standard, nothing much to mention.

>From what I understand in reading it, you can use it without limitation
(it's not a demo), to develop applications for Linux. In order to use it
to develop cross-platform applications, you need to upgrade to the
"Professional" version license key. There are some other additional
features in the "Professional" version... apparently including the
ability to develop console-based applications.

Apparently, they feel that Linux users will mostly not want to pay for
their product when they can write Linux apps using the wide array of
already freely available tools, which I would mostly agree with; but
that they /would/ pay for a cross-platform development IDE.

IIRC, REALbasic started out being only for Mac OS, but added Windows and
Linux as targets.

--
Micah J. Cowan
micah@cowan.name