January 6: Social gathering
2006 Jan 25 06:23

Re: [vox] Windows really DOES suck! (Or maybe it's HP...)

Re: [vox] Windows really DOES suck! (Or maybe it's HP...)

You can use a postscript wrapper to share your printer as a postscript
printer over the network.  To all the other computers on your network,
your HP OfficeJet 4215 will look like a generic postscript printer.  On
the printer server, it'll receive the postscript print requests and use
Ghostscript to re-print the document to a local printer.  I used this
technique to share a Lexmark printer with a Linux box, and the technique
is archived at the following URL:

In your particular situation, you'll follow the steps I took except you
won't create the LPR printer; instead, you'll share the postscript printer
over Samba.  On the remote computer, you'll install a networked printer,
and use a postscript printer driver for it.

For the "postscript printer driver", you might want to use:

 http://tinyurl.com/e1r (generic potscript driver from Adobe)

but you might have some issues printing in color.  I think there are
better postscript drivers that can handle color, but I don't know any off
the top of my head.

I've gotten some comments that the technique doesn't work for some people.
I had to play around a bit to make it work so your mileage will
undoubtedly vary.

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim