2006 Jan 03 16:37

Re: [vox] Another way to hose a system

On Tuesday 03 January 2006 16:05, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> A major win for aptitude in situations such as this is that if you
> absolutely insist on shooting yourself in all your feet, aptitude
> logs[1] its actions, including what files were installed and/or removed,
> when, and why.  You can use the logs to generate lists of packages to
> reinstall.  I've done this on several occasions when the results of a
> too-long-delayed update went whack, with relatively little downside (a
> bit of lost time on the update).

Heh.  Well, since doing this to myself, I've discovered the "Preview Changes"
option, which actually shows what packages will be installed, upgraded, or
removed with each transaction.  The stupid "preview" button is right next to
the "commit changes" button.  Just my own blindness at work.

So far, I think I prefer Kubuntu over Fedora Core 3.  Easier to use, fewer
bizarre little instabilities.  All I need to figure out is how to get
gpg-agent running, and why I can't seem to print to my networked printer.

--
Richard S. Crawford
http://www.mossroot.com