2005 Nov 25 18:47

Re: [vox] Linux-compatible MP3 player recommendations wanted!

On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 12:42:56PM -0800, Jan W wrote:
> And here is my pitch for 'abcde' to encode my cd's to mp3's.  abcde is
> just "A Better CD Encoder", and can do ogg/wma/whatever codecs you have
> libs for.  It's a nice, quick, and easy way to make lots and lots of
> mp3's for my player (with all the tags correctly set from CDDB).

I figured I might as well plug KDE's "audiocd" KIO slave.  Together with
the USB mass storage device, I believe you can simply drag-n-drop between
the audio CD and the player right on your desktop. ;^)

e.g., browse to  audiocd:/MP3  in Konqueror (I just have a desktop icon
shortcut to that URL on my desktop), select the tracks you want, and
drag them onto  /media/mp3player  or wherever your player gets mounted.

(I can drag to my USB CF card reader; got an icon for it on my desktop
that points to  /mount/card0  )

(I can also drag to my Zaurus's internal memory, CF card or SD card,
when it's sitting in its docking cradle, as I've got some "smb://" icons
on my desktop, too)

Command-line is so 2003. ;^)