2005 Nov 14 11:24

Re: [vox] Open Source and Privacy [and OSS audio players for Win32]

On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 08:38:00AM +0000, Robert G. Scofield wrote:
> Maybe I'm deluded.  But while I originally became a Linux user as a moral and
> political rejection of Microsoft's tactics, I have over time become more
> dedicated to open source in general because of privacy issues.

Heh...  There are many reasons to go with Open Source! :^)

I originally became a Linux user because Windows 95 was a total piece of crap,
and Macs were way too expensive.  Having cut my teeth on SunOS and Solaris
systems at school, and learned a little X11 programming, I decided that
Linux was a shoe-in... once I learned about it! :^)

(Had someone told me about Linux years earlier, I might have bought my own
Pentium I PC a couple of years earlier.  As it is, I went through 5 yrs of
Computer Science w/o my own computer... aside from an IBM PS/2 I used to
dial in to the Unix box at school, and a couple of Atari 8-bits for playing
and programming games.)

Once LUGOD formed, I discovered more about Free Software, GNU and the GPL
(which I was vaguely aware of from the Unix boxen at school), licensing,
freedom, and just how evil Microsoft really was. ;^)

Wow... what a long-winded way to say "yeah, right on!" ;)

Now, as for streaming audio player alternatives for Windows, I know there
has to be something.  I see Xine works on Windows, but have not ever really
played with it, esp. not with strictly audio files.  So, dunno if it applies.

bill@newbreedsoftware.com
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/