2005 Oct 24 11:58

Re: [vox] [fwd] Re: Computers for Hurricane Katrina update?

Re: [vox] [fwd] Re: Computers for Hurricane Katrina update?

Hi folks:

A quick addendum to my exchange with Bill.

By "Locked Down" I think a better term would be a "dummy-proof" installation where the user can get up and going with minimal help.  As close to plug and play (sorry) as possible.  They can move icons and everything else.  Just that the standard KDE has too many bright shiny objects, neat looking menus which allow the uninformed user to get in and really !@!$ up the machine.  That is why I was think a user set of privileges and root access enabled.

Does that help?

Thanks,

BEN

Bill Kendrick wrote:
Ben writes to me:

I am looking to have some "put it together event" as soon as the last 40
CPU's get to the bargain barn.  It will take two days to process them
and then we can get them together.   I use Knoppix a lot to rescue
crashed disks.  Charles McLaughlin suggested we build a custom CD with
the following:  I've added some of my own as well.

Drivers - lots of em.  These are likely all Dells or Gateways but we'd
need to get the drivers included ahead of time when making the CD.

KDE or GNOME.  Whichever can be locked don to give the user a
windows-like experience.  This means editing a lot of things I am not
comfortable editing which is where I need the help of the LUG's .

Enable root account with one standard password for all systems.

On the desktop I need:
Open Office
PDF maker (or Equiv.)
Firefox
Thunderbird (both with user configuration privileges)
Linux equivs for putty and winscp
Some type of simple media player
Some type of simple disk burning software.

Network:
simple dhcp.
shortcut to network connection setup panel quickly accessible to user.

Self-mounting or inserted floppies and memory stick and eject without
restarting.

I can't think of  much else but it's Monday!

I recommended KDE for a locked-down UI, but KDE's kiosk framework doesn't
take care of OpenOffice.org, Firefox or Thunderbird.

Firefox has a 'kiosk'-like lock-down setup, but I'm not familiar with it.
No idea about Thunderbird.

Of course, just HOW locked down the system should be is the other question.
"Don't even let them move an icon on the desktop?"  Or will the system
simply reset itself after each person uses it...?

I think Ben's subscribed to vox, so feel free to respond here.  THx!

Ben Timmons
Technology and Organizational Consulting
417 Mace Blvd., Suite J-324
Davis. Ca 95616
drben54@earthlink.net
(530) 297-1778 (Home and FAX)