2005 Oct 21 23:08

Re: [vox] Wireless antenna for 1-block radius

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 15:09:35 -0700, Ryan wrote:

>> So I'd like to work out how to extend the wifi provided by my
>> BEFW11S4, so that it has a radius of about a block. (In chicago,
>> there  are 4 blocks to 1/2 mile).
>>

> Does this actualy need to be a radius? If not, use a driectional
> antenna

I have to agree with this. You'll only get a few dB if you stay with
omni. IIRC you can get some distance by mounting it higher. Certainly
an externally mounted antenna will do more than one inside your house.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantenna
http://www.etherdesigns.com/pages/1/index.htm
http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html