2005 Oct 21 23:08

Re: [vox] Wireless antenna for 1-block radius

Re: [vox] Wireless antenna for 1-block radius

Ken Bloom wrote:
One of the big reasons I've wanted a laptop for a while is so that I
could get wifi in the sukkah[1] during sukkot[1].

Now that it's sukkot, I've been working in the sukkah with my laptop,
and I find that the wi-fi from my apartment doesn't even reach a half
a block to where I'm working.

So I'd like to work out how to extend the wifi provided by my
BEFW11S4, so that it has a radius of about a block. (In chicago, there
are 4 blocks to 1/2 mile).

Any ideas? What kind of antenna should I be looking for. I'd like to
do this pretty cheaply if possible.

--Ken Bloom

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukkot

Joshua Wrote:

I have heard of great results with USB wireless cards and Chinese Fry Spoons dubbed "the poor mans wifi".  They have been playing around down in New Zealand and have some cool information on the science of why the cookware works and how to build your own.
http://www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz/

I have a omni directional Antenna that lets me get about a blocks range, but it works best at trying to home in on a local Hotspot more then long range use.