2005 Sep 30 11:10

[vox] [fwd] 1,000 Used Computers Needed for Hurricane Relief;Other Tech Relief Projects

----- Forwarded message from Steve Hargadon <steve@hargadon.com> -----

Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 10:08:47 -0400 (EDT)
From: Steve Hargadon <steve@hargadon.com>
Subject: 1,000 Used Computers Needed for Hurricane Relief; Other Tech Relief Projects

Baton Rouge (LA) needs 1,000 Computers / How Techies Can Help / PublicWebStations.com

1.  BATON ROUGE NEEDS USED COMPUTERS:  [The
following note is from Nancy Jo Craig, the
Executive Director of CACRC in Baton Rouge.  Please
consider forwarding this to anyone involved in the
disposition decisions for excess used equipment in
your school or organization.]

"The Capital Area Corporate Recycling Council (CACRC)
is a non-profit electronic recycler/refurbisher
currently helping in the Hurricane relief effort.
The demand is ever growing for computers. Displaced
non-profits from New Orleans and the southern
parishes are in need of computers for start-up.
Shelters from Louisiana and Mississippi are asking
for computers and there will be a long term need for
displaced families to have computers in their new
homes. The FEMA trailer parks will need to have
technology available as well.

"The CACRC would like to be able to provide at a
minimum 200 computers to non-profits, 300 to 500 to
shelters around the region (we had a request for 100
today), and another 500 for displaced families. We
have ~ 100 computers on hand.

"We can use Pentium II and up with working monitors.
Our warehouse can upload and download pallets of
equipment. The CACRC can provide a letter of
donation to any donor requiring one.

"Thanks for your assistance in this. Help down this
way is deeply appreciated. We are in this for the
long haul.

"Sincerely,

Nancy Jo Craig

Executive Director

CACRC

225 379-3577

Njcwings@aol.com"

2.  WHAT TO DO IF YOU WANT TO DONATE ONE OR TWO
COMPUTERS:  www.DIYparts.org has been managing a
geographical database of individuals who want to
donate, trade, or sell computer equipment.
Specifically, they have helped tremendously with the
hurricane relief effort.  You can visit their
website and list your equipment.

3.  WHAT TO DO IF YOU WANT TO DONATE YOUR
TECHNOLOGY EXPERTISE:  www.TechVolunteers.com is
registering technology people who want to help.  The
Red Cross also contacted us and asked us to send
tech volunteers to
http://www2.redcross.org/flash/course01_v01/ where
you get their "Introduction to Disasters" online
course, and can then contact the local chapter to
get into their system.  (Note that this link only
appears to work in Microsoft Internet Explorer and
not in Firefox.)

4.  HAVE A LOCAL SHELTER NEAR YOU THAT NEEDS
QUICK & EASY INTERNET KIOSKS?   Visit our
hurricane humanitarian website,
www.PublicWebStations.com, to download a CD-based
program and set up a bullet-proof Firefox web station
on an older computer in less than 5 minutes.
Publicized nationally, including by ABCnews.com.
Thanks for taking the time and for your consideration,

Steve Hargadon
email: steve@hargadon.com
phone: 916-791-2200
web: http://www.technologyrescue.com