January 6: Social gathering
2005 Sep 02 17:19

Re: [vox] Call for Help: Katrina Public Web Stations Project

Re: [vox] Call for Help: Katrina Public Web Stations Project

Bill Kendrick wrote:
On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 07:51:22AM -0700, Steve Hargadon wrote:

www.PublicWebStations.com
And I just saw it over at desktoplinux.com and linuxdevices.com! :)

And now the desktoplinux article has been slashdotted:

<http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/09/02/1930247>

This may be a good time to mention the coral caching system. See <http://www.coralcdn.org/>. Basically, append ".nyud.net:8090" to the hostname part of any URL, and it's loaded through the cache. The coral folks are perfectly happy for people to publish URLs using that syntax.

So Steve, if your websites start getting slammed, this is a change you can make to your pages to alleviate that. I'm not sure if the cache will work for a file the size of the ISO, but lots of niche podcasts are distributed through coralized URLs.