2005 Sep 01 20:53

Re: [vox] Re: Wildfire Idea to Help Katrina Victims

Re: [vox] Re: Wildfire Idea to Help Katrina Victims

OK, we're well on our way.  I've mobilized several individuals who are
going to contibute.  By tomorrow sometime we should be up and running,
www.publicwebstations.com, with instructions on how to download a 60mb
.iso file, burn it to cd, and create a firefox web kiosk for free
public internet use.  I think they could become a lifeline for those
who are out of their homes for weeks or months.

I'll start sending out emails soon to mobilize the linux and open
source community members, and to give them a way to help.

Steve

On 9/1/05, -Orange <orangewinds@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, you three, more. im a new lugod member but i have seen most of
> your conversations and i have a dell optiplex gx1 with p2 400mhz that
> i would be willing to donate,however im not sure how i would get it
> down there. only other problem is my friend (on accident) took all my
> ram for it to china so i wont be getting that back any time soon. i
> would need a bit of ram for it but it would be perfect. i also have a
> fair collection of old working hard drives, sizes 200mb - 4.5 gb.
> also,willing to donate.
>
> thanks for the input or help! (I/A)
>
> jacob
>
> On 9/1/05, Bill Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net> wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 12:54:49PM -0700, Steve Hargadon wrote:
> > > Bill:
> > >
> > > How hard is it to get an .iso file put up on some kind of mirrored
> > > sites?  Can you point me toward some resource in this area.  I'm
> > > afraid if we post the kiosk .iso we'll be unprepared for the
> > > onslaught.
> >
> > Slashdot would probably be a good place to put something.  Of course,
> > you'd need to get a project set up, which might take a few days.
> > It might be worth talking to the admins directly, to expedite.
> >
> > Gotta run,
> > -bill!
> >

> --
> -Orange