2005 Aug 31 22:07

Re: [vox] Switching from Microsoft to Linux

I wish i could, unfortunately my company has become corporate and they decided to switch everything from Linux to Microsoft.

Jonathan Stickel wrote:
Would some of you like to share some experiences and encouragement for a company-wide switch to Linux?

Thanks,
Jonathan

-------- Original Message --------
Date:     Wed, 31 Aug 2005 14:45:53 -0400
From:     Wayne Ross <wross@kooltronic.com>
To:     <root@lugod.org>

Switching from Microsoft to Linux

The owner of our small manufacturing business, Kooltronic, Inc.,
(www.kooltronic.com <http://www.kooltronic.com/>) is very-very
interested in switching from Microsoft to an open source Linux.

She would like to speak with anyone who has successfully switched from
MS to Linux, especially if they are also a manufacturer. She is
interested in the negative side as well as the positive side. I have
found many success stories online, but she wants to "talk" to an actual
person.

We have a few servers (File, E-mail, SQL, Application, etc.) and 100
PCs. We are primarily Windows XP with Office 2003. We do have a 3D solid
modeling system which would have to stay Windows or move to Unix until
the Linux version is released in Q4 2006. 85% of our servers and clients
are basic "Microsoft Office" PCs. The machine tools which are
Windows-based will remain so since the proprietary software they run
cannot be converted to Linux.

Our owner, Anne Freedman, is looking for reassurance that we should
continue with research on how to implement the switch, and in the
process answer the question "should we implement the switch?".
Specifically she wants to hear about the drawbacks, advantages and
challenges of moving away from Microsoft.

Could you recommend anyone who might be willing to spend a few minutes
on the phone via a conference call sharing their experience?

Thank you for your consideration!

*/Wayne Ross/*

Network Manager

Kooltronic, Inc.