2005 Aug 31 22:11

Re: [vox] Wildfire Idea to Help Katrina Victims

On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 05:27:43PM -0700, Ken Herron wrote:
> You might try to find some Houston-area LUGs interested in getting
> involved.

Agreed!  Some links:

  Coastal Area of Texas Linux Users Group  (in League City, near Houston)
  (hrm, website seems to have died and turned into a squatter)

  Fort Worth Linux User Group  (near Dallas)
  http://www.fwlug.org/

  Rice Linux User Group  (at Rice in Houston)
  http://linux.rice.edu/

  San Antonio Linux Users Group  (over in S.A.)
  http://www.satlug.org/

  Victoria Linux Enthusiasts  (between S.A. and Houston)
  http://www.vle.org/  (ack, seems dead!)

...and, of course...

  Houston Linux User Group
  http://www.hlug.org/

> It seems to me though that information on how to set up a
> kiosk is the least of what you'd need. The actual computers, willing
> volunteers, access to the site (aka credibility with relief
> organizations), and communications access to the Internet would all be
> necessary.

Steve, do you have any kind of kickstart or livecd system for throwing
these systems together?  (i.e., get a bunch of donated computers, and
then *boom*, *boom*, *boom*, turn them all into the kind of kiosk
systems you want)

Good luck!

bill@newbreedsoftware.com
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/