2005 Aug 24 13:51

Re: [vox] Laptop recommendations

--- Ken Bloom <kbloom@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm looking to buy a laptop, and I would like to
> know whether anybody
> has recommendations. I'm looking for linux
> compatibility, in the $1000
> range, with WiFi, 512MB ram (minimum), CDRW+DVD, and
> light enough to
> easily be portable.
>
> I found one interesting deal on a 1.33GHz 12" iBook,
> based on the
> PowerPC chip, and I was curious whether anyone has
> any recommendations
> about the current and future prognosis for buying a
> PowerPC-based
> Macintosh.

Are you talking about the free iPod with purchase of
Apple computer deal?  I'm thinking about getting one
for my wife - $999 for a laptop and 4gb mp3 player -
hard deal to pass up...

Mac OS 10.3 (or later) supports linux binaries with
XCode Tools 1.2 (or later).  What type of linux
compatibility are you looking for:

"linux compatible" i.e. bootable linux os?
(http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-ppc.xml)

or

"linux compatible" i.e. ability to run linux binaries?
(http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/macos-guide.xml)