2005 Aug 17 10:07

[vox] Latest Microsoft worm hits big

The Wall Street Journal reported today about the latest worm
to hit Microsoft's Windows 2000. And it hit big-time.
"At CNN, the worm knocked out studios in Atlanta and New York, forcing
the cable news channel to telecast from Washington until operations in
New York could be restored."

Also affected were computers at Time Warner, New York Times,
Kraft Foods, UPS, and 13 Chrysler manufacturing plants. Also, ABC News
had to pull out old typewriters to write the copy for World News
Tonight.

The worm, called Zotob, delivers a malicious file and changes the
registry. One variant of the worm causes the computer to continually
reboot.

Thank God for Linux's protected mode.