2005 Aug 11 23:30

Re: [vox] [fwd] dual booting problem finally solved!

Re: [vox] [fwd] dual booting problem finally solved!

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005, Micah J. Cowan wrote:
[snip]
> I have Cygwin installed on my Windows side, and I can't tell you how
> many times I wished I could pull up a C source file or something I was
> working on in Linux, without having to reboot: or possibly there was a
> reason why I really needed to be in Windows for the time being, too.
> (I do need Windows to check MSIE compliance of the group website I'm
> developing, sad as that is).

I've been reading ext2 partition from windows for years:

   http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm

It doesn't mount the file system -- it just lets you copy files off of it
using an application that can read the HD directly.  It's read-only.  It
might be a safer alternative for those concerned with viruses and bugs and
such.  I haven't used it in a long time (I switched over to reiserfs at
some point before ext3 was stable, which explore2fs can't access) and now
that I'm using ext3 one would think I'd need it but for some reason I
haven't had the need to.  I guess I'm just using Windows less and less.

Hey look at this... the explore2fs guy also has something called
"ext2ifs"... never noticed that:

   http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/ext2ifs.htm

Also read-only, but it mounts the file system. =P

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim
AIM: markus kimius