2005 Aug 05 12:26

Re: [vox] Moving to Sacramento, ISP recommendation

Re: [vox] Moving to Sacramento, ISP recommendation

Sam Peterson wrote:
I'll be moving to Sacramento shortly (like within the week) and I
thought I'd take this oppurtunity to consider other ISPs.  I've been
with Omsoft for the past 3 years, and have generally been happy with
them, but I'd like to pay less (I currently pay $56.95 for 768/256 DSL +
static IP).  Also, due to complex reasons I may have to keep my phone
active at my current apartment until the end of the month, and I'd like
to have Internet in my new apartment before then, so cable Internet is
sounding like a lovely idea right about now.  I can stomach another
$50-$60 a month bill if it also includes decent cable.  But before
investigating this option, I was wondering what sort of experiences
people have had with cable Internet in Sac (midtown area) and if they're
Linux/Services friendly (don't really need a static IP more I think
about, so don't care about that option).

For cable you will be looking at Comcast HSI most likely. They can be hit or miss depending on the area service wise however they offer the best speeds overall. The main question is will you be getting cable to or Satellite? They have different pricing for HSI depending on other services you get with them.  Also they are in the midst of upgrading speeds from current offerings of either 4meg/384k standard tier(silver) or 6meg/768k gold tier to 4meg/384k(no other services) or 6meg/384kstandard(silver) or 8meg/768k(gold).. Here is the new pricing levels they will be offering. Also with Comcast you can either buy a cable modem or rent one from them. I hope that has been of some help to you.

New Service/Price Chart
With these new speed offerings, Comcast will be offering the High-Speed Internet at the following tiers of service.

If you currently do not subscribe to any Comcast Cable TV or Comcast Phone services, you will have the following options for HSI available to you:
    Down        Up
   (Mbps)     (kbps)     Price
     4         384      $57.95
     6         384      $67.95
     8         768      $77.95

If you currently subscribe only to Comcast Limited Basic Cable TV service; Comcast Digital Voice; or Comcast Digital Phone, the following HSI options are available to you:
    Down        Up
   (Mbps)     (kbps)     Price
     4         384      $42.95
     6         384      $52.95
     8         768      $62.95

If you currently subscribe to at least Comcast Expanded Basic Cable TV service or above, the following HSI options are available to you:
    Down        Up
   (Mbps)     (kbps)     Price
     6         384      $42.95
     8         768      $52.95