2005 Jul 20 16:46

Re: [vox] Local Linux-oriented PC recycling efforts?

Re: [vox] Local Linux-oriented PC recycling efforts?

CompuMentor in San Francisco works with most of the non-profit
computer recycling programs around the country.  I spoke at their
national meeting last fall in Chicago.

Jim Lynch is the main contact there.  He and I have talked for a
couple of years about how there is no pc recycling program in the
Sacramento area, and even started to form a non-profit last year to
address this, but I was just too busy workwise.

Steve

On 7/19/05, Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> on Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 06:18:40PM -0700, bullring@gmail.com (bullring@gmail.com) wrote:
> > Karsten M. Self wrote:
> >
> > >I'm aware of several PC recycling efforts around the Bay Area, though
> > >most seem oriented to legacy MS Windows-based rebuilds.  For anyone
> > >aware of efforts geared at turning out GNU/Linux-based systems, please
> > >post details here.
>
> > Hello Everyone,
> >
> > I would be very interested in starting a PC recycling program to help
> > resolve this problem.  It would be great to start a recycling effort
> > here in sacramento and use the computers to teach computer repair
> > skills to the local community.  I have been gathering and giving away
> > linux/opensource computers whenever possible for the last few years.
> > If anyone else is interested in starting something like this let me
> > know.
>
> You might want to check with the Alameda Country Computer Resource
> Center, which seems to coordinate activities with a few similar programs
> around the SF Bay Area.  I'm not familiar with existing Sac area
> programs, but encourage you to check for same.
>
>     Alameda County Computer Resource Center
>     http://www.accrc.org/
>

> Peace.
>
> --
> Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>        http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
>  What Part of "Gestalt" don't you understand?
>     18.8% of all browsers that claim to be MSIE, aren't.
>     - http://www.virtuelvis.com/archives/35.html
>

> BodyID:252441908.2.n.logpart (stored separately)

Steve Hargadon
916-899-1400 direct
www.technologyrescue.com