2005 Jul 18 12:04

Re: [vox] a course on managing open source...

timriley wrote:

From: Sameer Verma <sverma@sfsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 19:06:30 -0700

Dear LUGoD members,
I will be teaching a course titled "Managing Open Source" at San Francisco State University. This course is being offered as a graduate/undergraduate cross-listed course by the Information Systems department in the College of Business. As the title suggests, the focus of the course will be business-oriented for most part. A proposed course outline is listed at the end of this e-mail.

I would really appreciate feedback from the community.

1) What would you like to see in a course like this?

Missing from the course outline below that I'd be interested
in would be "Important open source applications"

I plan on including the popular ones. They will also be using the OpenCD as a starter.

2) What is the most critically needed area of education that an analyst or manager should get with respect to open source?

I'm going to answer a slightly different question. The most critically
needed skill coming from MIS graduates is the ability to design
databases conceptually, not just build MS Access applications.

:-) Point well taken. It is a tragedy when schools use Access to teach databases, because the "application" saps away all the abstracted knowledge, and instead lead the student into a step-by-step hand-holding exercise. Incidentally, we do have an entire course in database concepts, so that's taken care of.

3) Would you expect a course like this to be a "Get the Facts" type or more along the lines of a "We report, you decide" ?

Again, I'm going to answer a slightly different question. I would
start with the legal aspects of software licensing, followed by
the building blocks of information systems (i.e. database and
process designs), and finally how to get and install the open
source tools out there to run both the front and back offices
of an enterprise.

4) What kind of activities would be more suitable: Hands-on, exams, papers, presentations?

Of course hands-on, but that's time consuming.

5) Do you expect such a course to fly in a business curriculum?

I would like to think so. Good luck, and maybe it'll catch on
here at Sac. State where I'm taking business classes.

I'll keep the list posted on how it goes.

cheers,
Sameer

--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.