2005 Jul 18 12:06

Re: [vox] Help disassembling a laptop?

on Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 03:35:00PM -0700, Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
> on Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 11:34:50AM -0700, Richard Crawford (rscrawford@mossroot.com) wrote:
> > I've got an old Sony Vaio laptop which has a problem with
> > overheating.  It's out of warranty and has been replaced now by a
> > much snazzier laptop, and I'd like to put Ubuntu on this machine and
> > turn it into a media center; however, with the overheating, it shuts
> > itself off after a few hours, and the fan is very loud.

[Model is PCG-GRV670P]

... Searching model + 'site:sony.com' brings you to Sony's support page:

    http://esupport.sony.com/perl/select-system.pl?PRODTYPE=24&NAVDISP=pc

...there's a link for manuals, after plugging in the model, though this
seems to be a no-op.

I'll repeat my earlier comment:  based on this experience, I'd avoid
Sony products.

Peace.

    The black hat community is drooling over the possibility of a secure
    execution environment that would allow applications to run in a
    secure area which cannot be attached to via debuggers.
    - Jason Spence, on Palladium aka NGCSB aka "Trusted Computing"