2005 Jul 11 11:28

Re: [vox] Rant: the suckiness of http://www.sectoor.de/ and thier "tor blacklisting"

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005, ME wrote:

What is worse? Running a mail server is enough to get blacklisted, because
I certainly do not run an irc server.

It seems you're not the only one with this criticism of Sectoor:

http://archives.seul.org/or/talk/Jan-2005/msg00113.html

This particular blacklist seems popular amongst IRC channels. Although I suspect a certain overly paranoid MUD admin I know probably also uses it. It does seem to be a poorly designed blacklist, although it is less than a year old, so perhaps it just needs to mature a bit more. Here's a "release announcement", although I use the term loosely because it's not a very formal announcement, from January of this year:

http://lists.blitzed.org/pipermail/bopm/2005-January/002297.html

I have to wonder how much of their misunderstanding that you run a legitimate mail server using a mixed host (client/server) comes from language issues. I note their English explanation on the tor page is a bit rusty. But this may also be an issue of people who are willing to slap a cludgy bandaid on something rather than come up with a concrete, well thought out solution using the attitude of "well, it's only a small baby we're throwing out with the bath water".